23 Dec My Career, Financial, and Fun 2018 Goals
As we’re about to wrap up 2017, I have a secret to share. My wife and I decided to get serious about building wealth. We’re applying to jobs in Washington, D.C. to find a career where we can work in our field and (hopefully) get a big pay increase. One of the fastest ways to hit early retirement is to earn a higher salary in addition to living below your means and making sound financial investments.
So without any further ado, here are my 2018 goals.
- Get a six-figure job in Washington, D.C. by June 2018
- Take courses on Big Data, Python coding, and SPSS.
- Get certifications
- Move to Washington, D.C.
- Finish my last semester of coursework and pass my qualifying exam May 18
- Present my topic
- Pick my dissertation chair and committee
- Build my emergency fund to $12,000 by December 2018 by saving $1,000 a month
- Increase my savings rate to 60%
- Move more money to my brokerage account
- Possibly sell car and buy one shared SUV with my wife when we move
- Travel to Austin, TX, San Diego, CA (wedding), and Asheville, NC
- Celebrate finishing my coursework and passing my qualifying exams in May 2018!
- See Hamilton
- Visit NYC in the fall
- Relax more
- Spend more time with friends and loved ones
- Enjoy more time with our puppies
- Learn 10 quick and easy recipes to prepare more meals at home
- Learn weekly meal prepping
2018 looks like it’s going to be an exciting and busy year! What are you working on or looking forward to? Leave a comment with your 2018 goals.